Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentine Keepsake Box

If you are like me you have a stash of alterable items in tub just waiting to be decorated.  I love unfinished wood items, frames, paper mache items, etc that I pick up at craft stores.  I also find unique one of a kind pieces at garage or estate sales.  This last summer I found this heart shaped wood box at a garage sale.  It's been sitting there just waiting to be decorated. 
 

First I removed the hinges to I could cover the top without any extra trimming.  Once removed I used a Tim Holtz, distress stain in aged mahogany to cover the sides and the edges.  I love the distress stain to use on wood in place of paint.  It's quick and easy, though it can be a little messy.  I then covered the top with patterened paper from Bo Bunny's, Love Letter's line.  Attach the paper using Beacon's 3 in 1 adhesive.  Trim any excess paper and then cover the paper edges with a bit of the distress stain or matching ink.  Replace the hinges and you have a cute box.

 
Here's a look at the inside of the box.  See how nice the distress stain is on the wood.
 
 
 I added a few embellishments to the top by cutting out a banner piece from the patterned paper and mounting it on a custom cut piece to mat it to stand out more against the background.  It is attached with pop up adhesive. 


I created the flowers using several coordinating papers that I ran through my big shot using the Tim Holtz tattered flower garland die, I layered several flowers together and secured them together with a glittery brad from We R Memory Keepers.  Attach using Beacon's 3 in 1.  I also attached a small handle at the tip of the heart to make it easy to open.  Just use a bit of Beacon's to attach.


Thanks for looking ~ Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment